Well, it's 12:30 AM Sunday April 9, 2006. At the station. Cuz where else do I go after Underground shows than the ole station.
We just got finished with the post-gig hangout, which was decidedly short since everyone in the band was mad tired from last night.
What did we do last night, you ask? We practiced for tonight live on the air on WRCT.
But anyways, thanks to the massive email blasts which Horse/Knuckles, Hell, and H/K's friend Reuben Quintero sent out. Loads of people came. I really should have booked more student bands this year. Only now I realize it's the only way to get people out to a show (CMU students, at least).
After Reuben's band Vegemite Monster opened for us with some Blink 182-esque pop punk, East directed us to slowly go on stage one by one. We prefaced the entrance with a pow-wow style screaming session between East and myself in the back corner of the Underground.
On stage, Buckyballs started us with the laptop electronics, followed by Hell on clarinet, then Abacus Finch on clarinet, then me on my soprano sax (I entered the stage walking backwards. When I got up front I kept having these feelings of vertigo like the Earth was shifting and I was really dizzy, but when I stopped blowing so hard into my sop, and turned frontwards, the feeling went away.), and H/K followed me. I think I followed up the soprano playing by heading over to the extra snare drum (with the snare off), beating away while complementing H/K's drums. At times we were in tandem with each other. At times we were off, but that is the intention in free music.
That would make for not much fun. Insanity followed by restraint, followed by more insanity is the best way to go about making freely improvised music. We rocked out in that configuration for a couple minutes....and then we switched instruments....somehow that all went on for like and hour and forty-five minutes. If I were to try to tell you what happened between those first 5 minutes and the end.
- yelling obscenities at the audience; completely uninhibited by the FCC
- Horse/Knuckles Knuckles/Horse on the floor with the electric guitar, sweating profusely, hair completely gone hay-wire
- Buckyball dropping the electric guitar on stage
- Denton breaking drum sticks for the hell of it
- me lying down on stage playing the soprano sax into the mic (also screaming "
- East aka Hell pouring water into one end of his sax and attempting to play it while tipping it the other way so that water ran into his mouth and out the open holes throughout the bore of the horn
- all of us yelling "HORSE......AND.......BURRO!!!!" at various times during the performance
- the Underground staff joining in.....
Wow. Good times were had by all....except the trapped freshmen.